24.1.10

LarryGus - Stiches

I went to see LarryGus at one of his first live shows in 2007. He had an opening slot at Gagarin, a 1000+ rock venue in Athens. I did not like his show, basically because it was a disaster: before my eyes and ears, there was a guy trying to play his music with so many machines and he was making mistakes and from one point on, it was just hectic. I then published an article, saying that as much as I like this guy (and any other newcomer), it is wrong for him to not have someone to talk and be advised about things likes performing one of his first shows (and i repeat, we are not talking about a guy with guitar, just check this video from another show of his) in a big venue (with, I should add, bad-mannered personel, except for my beloved Thomas) without even an album!

This article caused a stir between ignorant, lazy morons who asked me to publish their opinion and then asked me to take it down. wtf? In my experience, people around niche music are in most cases so self-centered that they do not understand even the simplest things. They go as far as to think they know better from even the artist himself.

3 years on, LarryGus is in Barcelona and has produced music that is really what I was hoping he could make. His album "Stiches" (out on Cast-A-Blast) is really, really good and if you like the music of Animal Collective and John Maus, this is just your cup of tea. His music is even featured in adverstisments, I guess the morons don't like this either, right? Reign on Larry, you're no failure.



No comments: