22.1.10

Four Tet - There is Love In You


2003, I'm playing "Rounds" (Kieran's 3rd LP) and especially "My Angel Rocks Back And Forth" on repeat, at my office, at Virgin Records. This is my optical impression of Four Tet. I guess we all have optical impressions of songs and albums: we relate the sound to a particular day or period of our lives and this is added value to the music. It's the same idea that works with the artwork of an album and (to an extent) with the video of a song: for some reason, we seem to get this added value to the music. Which it's not. The music is sth on it's own. And anything else, is just added value.

2010, Four Tet is still in the game, with another album called "There Is Love In You". Don't get me started on the subject if this is actually correct (I mean, how does on understand if there is love in someone else? And why should one state that?),

I digg the album. It makes me think of a guy in his home studio, working all day, on sounds from ideas that fill his brain over a significant period of time. I guess some of you might have the same question I have, from the moment I heard the opening of "There Is Love In You": is this album an improvement on Kieran's path (with all his work with and for other artists), if you compare it to "Rounds"?

My answer is that Kieran, over the years has worked with and for many significant artists and has produced music of different directions. He has gone through 10 years through music and there you have it: "There Is Love In You" is music as a whole, lots of ideas put in an ongoing song. Yes, the ideas could have been arranged differently, or they could have been less spread out. But in the end, it is good music from a guy that has lived through music.

"There Is Love In You" is released next Tuesday on Domino. Listen to the album here

P.S. Thumbs up for Domino records for many a good releases over the years. Success was worthy for these musiclovers.

No comments: