23.3.10

Tariq Ali - The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity


As I finished high school and through a serious effort of forcing myself to study way beyond normal in order to memorize unlimited pages from books full of mistakes and nonsense, I kept thinking that this is a means to an end: such education is necessary for a system that wants to produce people who work for the government all their lives and want nothing but their paycheck at the end of the month. All else is too much, thus unnecessary. So, the day the finals ended, I started to read books. I read 30 books in 30 days, all kinds of books. This way, I erased everything I had memorised for the exams. This was a wise decision.

Years on, I have spent more than a decade in universities, etc. I have made people a lot of money and I have travelled the world. I think I'm entitled to say that if a book like "The Clash of Fundamentalisms" had been included in my school, the world would be a nicer place.

The book is, to every extent, necessary. It is a magnificent tour de force for even a wise and profound writer as Tariq Ali, a person that has not only studied and compehended the matters of history and religion, but has also been a part of the most important events of the last 40-50 years in Pakistan and the whole area surrounding it.

The structure is simple: cause and effect. Ali runs through the history of Islam, by putting his magnifying lence over every region, from Egypt to Kasmir. History is depicted as a faitytale of power, stupidity, corruption, aggression, as life. It is always amazing to see how the forthunes of millions are decided by a few persons and how everything adds up.

A book of unbelievable range of thought, it will haunt you. These books should be taught in schools in universities. Wake up.

YOU CAN READ THE BOOK HERE

No comments: