30.1.10

Lil Wayne - Rebirth

I'm the guy that, a couple of years back, convinced every indie moron reporter in town that Lil Wayne is way cooler than, ehm, anybody. I'm not the guy that expected greatness from the rock debut of the goblin. So, this Tuesday (February 2nd) is not an important day for me, despite "Rebirth" finally hitting the stores, after a year's delay.
I think that in the case of artists like Lil Wayne, where talent is so much combined with extreme ambition, unlucky things are bound to happen in the same ratio that lucky things can happen. Lil Wayne set his mind on making a rock album, like, I guess, he could have set his mind on making a classical music album. From what I've seen over the years, these things don't just happen. And bringing in some of the rap heavyweights to produce is by no means the way to a rock album. I mean, just because Lil Wayne is in the studio 24/7, doesn't mean that every thing he does is the star spangled banner. With quantity, you can always get lucky or not. Ok, you can find songs ("Get A Life"), but mostly, it just doesn't work: Lil Wayne's personality just is too much, and the producers didn't deliver, too. Maybe he should have brought in Bangladesh, that cat can save the world or whatever.

Listen to the album here

No comments: