24.8.10

The Thermals - Personal Life

I've always considered The Thermals as a supergoup, kind of, which is wrong, they aren't. I also was intrigued by their 2006 album "The Body, The Blood, The Machine" with Brendan Canty (of Fugazi) which had a, kind of, political stand and was king of fun, with the religion lyrics etc, but they aren't political. Anyway, they have a 5th album out this September 7th on Kill Rock Stars, it's called "Personal Life". Clever lyrics about love over matching, traditional indie-rock, anthemic sound, is what this is. They made sure it's gonna be like this, by bringing in (their old) producer Chris Walla, so they got this clear, straightforward sound. This direction is not my cup of tea, but I know a few people that would love to take this travel-back-in-time journey once again. Some songs sound classic anyway (Power Lies, I'm gonna change your life).


No comments: