25.2.10

k-os - Yes! (including a Frida sample, oh yes)


The album is good. k-os is always good, so I guess this doesn't mean much. "Yes!" is futuristic hiphop, meaning it has all the sounds you can imagine, put together under his rhymes and of course, a hiphop vibe. If you need to compare it to sth, it should be Outkast (for sure), N.E.R.D. (for sure) and Will.I.Am in his solo efforts (you, the space pop stuff he spent so many millions on a flop like "Songs About Girls". That album was just too much studio).

Actually, there are songs in there that just are not only hiphop. And the lyrics are also not: I mean, "I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman" is a name for an indie, college, nerd anthem, right? And the song is a remake of the O.C. title track "California" by Phantom Planet.
And Nelly Furtado is in it. So. So.

And then, there's Emily Haines (of Metric and Broken Social Scence). And "Mr. Telephone Man" which is not hiphop, at all. And then, there's "Eye Know Something" with the sample from Frida's "I Know There's Something Going On".

Anyway, you get the idea. It's futuristic hiphop, now. This shit is good (once again) and interesting, too. You don't get "interesting" so often in the internet era, right? I've been loving the album for months now and the artwork with the Ensoniq sampler gets kudos, as well.

Listen to the good (yes, I said it again, so) album here


p.s. I just love "I Know There's Something Going On". I wish ABBA had made music like this. It's so heavy, so massive, with Phil Collins' typical drumming and clean, vast production (with Hugh Padgham). It was in Frida's 1982 LP "Something's Going On". Russ Ballard wrote it. I'll get into Russ another time, I will. So, check out the video below.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man k-os is the shit. I think you'd like George Reefah, as well. Canada!!