14.2.08

BusyP (ED bANGER) interview

BusyP

Ed Banger is THE label of 2007 worldwide. Describe the success in numbers.

2 men, Busy P and So Me (A&R and Art Director), 1 girl, Amandine (head of PR), 10 artists, 25 records (mostly 12''), 100 shows per year

How difficult is it for a French record label to achieve worldwide success?
It's cool, i can't really complain.

Everybody says that music is so dead (or maybe, the industry), but labels like Ed Banger enjoy huge success. How come?
We take life not that seriously. Music industry is suffering, not the Music.

What do you enjoy the most about the success of Ed Banger: that this kind of music is heard all over the world or that the kids are once again dancing with smiles in their faces?
I like to see that kids from Sydney and kids from Athens are enjoying and sharing the same taste for freedom music. We play from techno to rock and hip hop, and kids love it.

What are you most proud of regarding Ed Banger?
Justice first album made me really proud. Our 2 MTV video awards too.

What is your greatest disapointment with Ed Banger (maybe somebody you didn't sign and became huge)?
There are tons of great artists around. I would have loved to sign Fancy, Midnight Juggernauts or Surkin.

How do you run the label? Do you have particular teams working for each band? Do you work with a master plan that includes various artists? Do you just let the thing guide you?
I have no plan, no business schedule. I do music business like i do art.

When was the moment that you realised that Ed Banger is going to make it big?
I have no idea it's big. My bank account is not big as you say. But i realise we receive lots of love, that's what make me happy and rin to my office in the morning.

What are the future moves of Ed Banger? Signings, releases, maybe a festival?
I'm working on "Pedrophilia" my next single at the moment. I plan to do an album in 2009. In 2008 we have lots of releases. New Sebastian, new Mr Flash. Albums from Uffie, DSL, Sebastian, Mr Oizo and a new Ed Rec vol III compilation.

Are you thinking of moving towards new directions? Maybe some rock signings?
Yes yes i'm looking for a cool rock band. Send me music!!!!

Ed Banger sure has a lot to do with new fashion trends. Also, your wife happens to be the PR of the Colette boutique, which releases super music-compilations. How important is for a new music trend to be related with the current fashion trends? Or even, create it's own, like you have?
Fashion and music have always been in contact. Look at Vivienne Westwood and the Punk era. I think it's a natural relationship.

Apart from running Ed Banger, you are the personal manager of Daft Punk, Justice, Cassius. How many mobile phones do you use? And, how do you even find time to play your own DJ sets around the world?
I have the same email since 1997. But to be honest my job today is running Ed Banger records.

How did the Kanye-Daft Punk thing come together? Did it have anything to do with the MTV Awards, when Justice beat his video?
We met Kanye thanx to our friend A-Trak who is Kanye's DJ. A-Trak introduced Daft music to Kanye. We also met Kanye thru that MTV axards fight. We love him.

Best of 2007?
Klaxons
White Stripes
Dizzee Rascal

What to look out for in 2008?
Peace

What is your biggest dream (musical and not)?
Sleeping with 2 girls

How much would you pay to take Boys Noize to Ed Banger?
I think Boys Noize will pay me hahahah!

What are you going to play for us in Athens?
Trance and Reggae

No comments: